Sunday, August 8, 2010

2nd Appointment with the Dr.

So, after seeing Dr. Schell for the first time and having my first ultrasound she wanted to see me back in a week. #1 so she could go over my bloodwork with me and see if there were any concerns, and #2 so we could do another ultrasound (since during the 1st ultrasound they found the baby to be measuring about a week less than Dr. Schell had calculated). Well, turns out we had good news! Everything is looking normal and great!

I went back on Thursday, August 5th at 11:30AM for my follow up appointment. Again, I got called back to the ultrasound tech's office RIGHT ON TIME! Yay! She did a quick ultrasound to see how everything looked and measured. As soon as the ultrasound appeared on the screen I saw 2 little circles. I thought it was twins! AHHH! I quickly asked the tech what that was and she said that was the baby and the yolk sac (the thing that feeds the baby). Well, it definitely looked like another baby to me. Whew! It was a relief to know there's just one baby! She said that the baby was measuring 6 weeks and 5 days (exactly one week more than it measured last week- another huge relief)! She then took the heartrate, which I could see again (like a lightning bug) but still couldn't hear it. It was 129 bpm....exactly where it needed to be. YAY! She printed off some pictures and then sent me on my way.
Next, I met with one of Dr. Schell's nurses. She took my blood pressure (normal), and went through my blood test results. She said everything came back normal there too (I am immune to measels, my blood type is A+, I don't have AIDS, etc.). Yay! Then she said that my ultrasound looked good, but Dr. Schell would be in to discuss that with me shortly. Then she came back in 5 minutes and said "Dr. Schell will be a little delayed this morning- she is at Central Baptist delivering a baby!" Clearly, that's the best excuse I've ever had for a late doctor. :)

Dr. Schell came in about 45 minutes later and discussed today's ultrasound. She said it looked great and she was really happy with how things were progressing. She asked if I had any questions/issues to let her know about and I mentioned the morning sickness (more like the ALL DAY sickness) and I asked her if there was anything I could do. She said "Yes! Medicate!". She wrote me a prescription for Zofran (I told her I already had a prescription for Phenergan from when I was sick last winter). So she said that both of those should help. Woo Hoo!

Side note: I still haven't taken either the Phenergan or Zofran because I made the mistake of googling them when I got home. Turns out these medications are prescribed for SEVERE nausea, like the kind chemo patients get! And are usually only prescribed to mommies-to-be with EXTREME morning sickness causing them to vomit constantly and lose weight. I know my case isn't that severe, so I hate to take something when I could probably tough it out. I know that it's better for the baby if I don't take the medication, so I'm going to TRY to hold off. We'll see....if I get to the point where I can't keep anything down, and then I guess I won't have a choice. Honestly, today I don't feel as sick at all (AND I didn't get sick in the middle of the night last night). YAY! So maybe the worst is over. Fingers crossed!!!

I go back to Dr. Schell in 4 weeks- September 2nd! I will be almost 11 weeks pregnant then! Woo Hoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment