Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Christmas Tree Debacle!

MixMas (the ALL Christmas music radio station) has begun in Lexington!!! It was a happy day when I realized it! Usually it doesn't start until closer to Thanksgiving but it started early this year! It put Alicia and I in the Christmas spirit and we decided to decorate our houses this week! We started at my house, I drug out all the Christmas accessories, put on my favorite Christmas CD (Now That's What I Call Christmas, Volume 2) and we were rocking! We got the tree stand up, all the branches in place and fluffed, all the lights applied and then......dum dum dum....it happened! The tree stand decided it was OVER Christmas and broke! One of the 3 legs holding up the tree completely broke off. Alicia tried to reattach it.....I tried to reattach it! It wasn't going to happen.

Now, normally I wouldn't call myself a resourceful person, but when it comes to Christmas decor (not to mention something she and I had nearly spent an hour on already) I knew that something had to be done to fix this. So I brought out the DUCK TAPE! The answer to all life's problems, right? First I tried to just tape the broken leg back onto the tree stand, well that wasn't working- the tree would just tip over. So then Alicia said jokingly "You should just tape it to the floor!" I laughed at first, but then decided to try it! Sure enough it worked like a charm. A few feet (okay, yards maybe) of duck tape later and we had a functioning tree stand. The problem was it didn't want to stand straight up (at least not for long), so our ingenuity kicked in again and I went to retreive some free weights that Hays had used and stored in the closet. He wasn't going to miss these for a few weeks while I used them to hold up the tree, right? Right! The weights did the trick! And now my Christmas tree could stand on it's own.

Isn't the tree (and the best helper ever, Alicia Faye) beautiful?!?!?

Close up of our "resourcefulness"!

A couple of nights later we headed over to Alicia's apartment to set up her tree. It was a much less eventful evening, as everything on her tree actually worked. But we had a blast (rocked out to some dance party Christmas music, ate some yummy brownies and holiday M&Ms and drank some scrumptious punch)! Look how lovely her tree turned out!

Special thanks to Alicia Faye for all her help with my Christmas tree debacle. I laughed until I cried and definitely made some 2010 holiday memories! :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha! This is definitely something that would happen to us. We got our tree up in LR, but the DR one only had 1/3 of our lights working and only one strand of our outdoor lights are working! We're ditching the outdoor lights for a spotlight and wreaths! haha It's not hardly worth it. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed all the way through that post, and I knew how it turned out! Good times. Crazy stuff like that make things great. My boring Christmas tree hasn't even tried to fall over yet.

    ReplyDelete