Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Hunt is ON- for Brady's Daycare

Yesterday, after our doctor's appointment Hays and I had 3 appointments set up at local daycares (La Petit Academy, Immanuel Baptist Child Care, and Creation Kingdom) to come in and see their facilities and ask them some questions. I was a little nervous about it and worried that I wouldn't think any of them were "good enough" for our little dude! But, I was pleasantly surprised after we visited the first daycare and I told Hays that I would be comfortable leaving him there. We liked the second daycare even more, but my favorite was the last we visited. It was the closest to our house AND my work, and it was the newest facility! Not to mention they have cameras so you can watch what your child is doing all day! Fantastic!

I had asked some other mommies and mommies-to-be about what to look for in a potential daycare and what questions I should be asking, so I had QUITE a list put together (20 questions to be exact). I'm sure some of the daycares thought I was crazy, but I want to know all this stuff since my precious little son will be spending MOST of his waking hours at this place! Overall, I felt great about the way all the daycares handled security and cleanliness (two of the BIGGEST things on my list), so that made me very happy! Every daycare we are visiting I have researched online and we know at least one child who attends/had attended their daycare. The references from them make me feel better about considering these places for Brady.

Next on the agenda is to visit two other daycares (Central Baptist Child Care, and Bethel Harvest Child Care)- I have heard good things about both and then make our decision on where we want to register Brady to get him on a waiting list! My hope is to visit the remaining 2 daycares next week and make our decision soon after.

One thing I am SO grateful for is that Brady will not have to go to daycare until he's 5 months old. Because his birthday will be in March, I will be off from work on maternity leave until June. Then, Hays will be out of school until August so he will be able to keep him. I have told all the daycares that August 1st is our tentative start date, and I really hope we're able to stick to that.

Overall, I am not totally destroyed about having to send Brady to daycare. Sure, I would love the opportunity to be a stay at home mom (like my mom was), but we just don't feel that is something we can do right now. I honestly feel like daycare will be a good fit for Brady, he will be exposed to so many other children and learn social skills and independence (not to mention he will develop lots of immunity to the germies of other kiddos)! I think we can do this! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I was just going to post on my blog that I scheduled appointments to tour two facilities in our neighborhood when I saw your post! How funny! I was also just thinking "I need to think about what questions to ask." Thanks for getting the wheels turning for me : )

    I have heard you "just know" when you find the place that's right for you and your kiddo. We are in a position where I could stay home, but I'm not sure that I'd be mentally OK with that (and I LOVED being a nanny to 6 kids in college) as I love my current job and have a wonderfully flexible schedule, so I figure that I'd rather have an awesome daycare lined up than not be prepared.

    I am lucky to have great maternity leave at work (2 weeks before and 4 months after, plus I'm thinking of taking one month unpaid), so Baby Kelly will be the same age at Brady when he/she starts attending.

    Keep us posted on what you guys decide!! You continue to look cute as a button!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jess!!!! I am so glad that you are doing well with this! I am sure that is an extremely hard situation, but sounds like you're making it well! I can't believe you can watch a video of your kid online while they are at daycare - soooo cool!

    Also, every week when you post a new weekly picture, it becomes my favorite!!! You are just too cute! Very cute pregnant girl! I love to see your growing belly -- you carry it beautifully!!!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete