Monday, February 21, 2011

34 Week Doctor Appointment and CPR Class

Last Thursday we had our 34 week doctor appointment (just 2 days before I was 35 weeks, so I guess it's more of my 35 week appointment, but whatever). My appointment was at 4PM, so Hays was able to come too! We met at the doctor's office since we both came straight from work. We knew at this appointment that we would be having an ultrasound to determine Brady's position- so we were both really excited to see him (and REALLY hoping he had changed positions to be head-down).

We get called back to the ultrasound soon after 4PM and I told the ultrasound tech that I had a pretty good feeling that Brady was still head up, but was hopeful that I was wrong. Sure enough, she put the "wand" (I don't know what to call it) on my belly and Brady's head was right up there between my ribs! Darn it, I was RIGHT! She did a few measurements while we were in there and looked at some of his organs. His head measured at 9cm across and 11cm in length. WHOA- that's a lot of head, Brady Man (it has to be big to hold that big brain, right?)! It sure is a pretty head!!! We couldn't see much of his face this time because he is getting pretty cramped in there. His head, legs and arms are all basically on one side of my belly (the left side), so the ultrasound tech couldn't get a full view of his face for us (even though she did try with the 3D wand too)! Oh well, I guess we get to see him in real life soon enough! His organs were functioning well, she showed us his little diaphragm on the screen and said he was "practicing breathing" for when he's born in a few weeks. It was pretty neat to see! His little heart was beating at a beautiful 131bpm, too! I just love that sound! She estimated he weighed 5 pounds, 3 ounces (2 pounds and 1 oz. more than he did at 30 weeks)- WOW! I have 5 pound bag of sugar in my belly- that's just wild to me! One thing that we did ask about was hair, because we thought we saw some on the 3D ultrasound, but she said you can only see that in 2D, so she went back and looked at it and sure enough she said she could see some. So, Brady's definitely got some hair....how much we're not sure!

During the ultrasound the tech performed a BPP test (biophysical profile test) and Brady scored an 8 out of 8! I am so proud of my smart little guy- he's already acing tests (clearly he gets this from his father, because I just had to google "acing" because it didn't look like it was spelled right....it is)! The BPP test measures breathing, movement, muscle tone, heart rate, and amniotic fluid. I am so relieved to hear that all of these things look good for baby Brady! I didn't even know they were going to do the test, which is good, because I would have worried! But it turns out there was nothing to worry about at all. He's just perfect! :)

After the ultrasound we had to go back into the waiting room, and then after about 10 minutes we were called back for our appointment with Dr. Schell. All the usual stuff went down: weight (gained 3 more pounds for a total of 20 so far), blood pressure (120/78- still doing good there), and urine sample (which, and I'm sorry if this is TMI, looked like WATER- seriously, I feel like a camel sometimes as much water as I'm drinking- I guess my "hump" is my baby bump)! Dr. Schell then came in and asked what we wanted to do since we know that Brady is still breech. I told her we didn't want to do version (it makes me nervous- and she said she agreed with that decision), we just wanted to schedule a C-section. She performs surgeries on Mondays and Tuesdays, so we chose Tuesday, March 22, 2011 to have little Brady. This is 4 days before my scheduled due date, but she thought it would be a good time. If we waited until the next Tuesday, he may have decided to come on his own before then! I asked her what happened if I went into labor before 3/22 and she said that I would just come into the hospital then and we would do the C-section that day. I hope this doesn't happen, though, I think 3/22/11 sounds like the perfect birthday for little man!

Once we schedule the C-Section she recommended that I go ahead and schedule my PAT (pre-admission testing) with Central Baptist Hospital for the day before too, so I have that on the books as well. This involves paperwork and a blood test of some sort. I will be doing this at 8AM on Monday, March 21st. I also went ahead and scheduled my next two doctor's appointments for the next two Thursdays- I am going every week now! I am excited- I love going to the doctor!

Once the appointment was over Hays and I had to head directly to Healthworx in Lexington Green because we had our Infant CPR class that evening! In total it was 5.5 hours of baby time on Thursday but we had fun! My friend, Nancy, who is one week behind me in her pregnancy was also in the CPR class, so it was fun to get to hang out with her! The class was different than I expected, it was 3.5 hours long but probably only 1 hour was spent on CPR, the rest was spent on other information about babies (first aid, sleeping tips, general safety, etc.). I am SO glad we went. I really, really, really hope I never have to use the skills I am now certified for, but it is comforting to know that if I have to use them at least I will know what I'm doing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment